West Virginia Governor Announces Additional State Funding for Airports

Contact: Matt Turner, 304-558-2000

CHARLESTON, W.Va. – – Gov. Joe Manchin today announced an increase in state matching funds to support airport infrastructure growth projects.  This funding increase results from the West Virginia Aeronautics Commission’s board recent decision to increase state matching funds to state airports that receive a new grant from the Airport Improvement Program issued by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

“Expanding West Virginia’s airport infrastructure is an important step toward increasing commerce within our state,” Manchin said.  “I am deeply committed to strengthening this portion of economic development because I know the opportunities it can provide our citizens and the business community.”

This funding increase will go toward grants that have been approved by the Commission this month through June 30, 2010.  The Aeronautics Commission’s 2.5 percent state matching funds that typically go toward airport improvement projects, will now increase to 5 percent.  The Federal Aviation Administration will provide the remaining 95 percent of the project funding.

West Virginia Secretary of Transportation Paul Mattox said they are pleased to be able to provide additional financial assistance to airports for much-needed airport infrastructure improvements. “During these financially challenging times, in order to further assist airports, airport authorities and governing bodies, we are committing additional money from the aviation fuel tax to airports,” Mattox said.

“We are appreciative of the funding the Aeronautics Commission receives from state and federal entities,” said Susan Chernenko, Director of the Aeronautics Commission.  “Governor Manchin is a tremendous advocate of aviation, airports and the aerospace industry.  The West Virginia Legislature has shown its support through continued funding.  Senator Byrd, Senator Rockefeller and our Congressional delegation have been steadfast in their support of airports.”

The increased 2.5 percent funding from the Aeronautics Commission will result in approximately a $1 million savings for local airport authorities and governing bodies throughout the state.