The State of New York awarded $9 million to 26 aviation projects through the Governor’s Aviation Capital Grants Program. These investments will enhance airport safety and security, including taxi-lane striping and markings, runway and airfield maintenance, and installation of automatic weather observation stations. Other airport related improvements that will benefit from this funding include the construction and rehabilitation of new and existing airport terminals and aircraft hangars.
“Since taking office, Governor Cuomo has made investment in transportation infrastructure the cornerstone of the State’s economic development blueprint,” New York State Department of Transportation Commissioner Joan McDonald said. The funding being allocated today was included in the State’s 2014-15 budget. The projects that received the funding were selected through a competitive solicitation process and rated on established criteria, including project eligibility, consistency with state aviation plans, regional economic benefits, and the ability to leverage additional investments.
Aviation Capital Grants Program Awards – $9 million
• Floyd Bennett Memorial Airport in Queensbury, Saratoga County, received $550,000 to upgrade a fuel farm with a 10,000-gallon tank and spill containment area;
• Lake Placid Airport in North Elba, Essex County, received $391,000 to add a five-bay hangar to the existing five-bay hangar;
• Malone-Dufort Airport in Malone, Franklin County, received $234,000 for construction of a self-service aviation fuel farm;
• Massena International Airport in Massena, St. Lawrence County, received $324,000 for expansion and resurfacing of the terminal parking lot;
• Watertown International Airport in Hounsfield, Jefferson County, received $321,000 for security system enhancements.
• Albany International Airport in Colonie, Albany County, received $241,902 for fuel farm security and safety improvements;
• Saratoga County Airport in Milton, Saratoga County, received $630,000 for the construction of a six-unit hangar.
• Sullivan County International Airport in Bethel, Sullivan County, received $891,000 for the construction of an additional corporate bulk hangar;
• Joseph Y. Resnick Airport in Wawarsing, Ulster County, received $399,600 to construct a fixed base operator business and maintenance hangar;
• Orange County Airport in Montgomery, Orange County, received $15,200 for marking and restriping taxiways;
• Randall Airport in Wallkill, Orange County, received $238,500 for structural improvements to the terminal building;
• Warwick Municipal Airport in Warwick, Orange County, received $22,500 for upgrading the fuel dispensing system.
Central New York
• Hamilton Municipal Airport in Eaton and Madison, Madison County, received $477,000 to rehabilitate the terminal hangar;
• Skaneateles Aerodrome in Skaneateles, Onondaga County, received $178,200 for safety improvements and the installation of an automatic weather observation station.
Finger Lakes Region
• Canandaigua Airport in Canandaigua, Ontario County, received $525,000 to extend sanitary sewers;
• Dansville Municipal Airport in North Dansville, Livingston County, received $444,600 to rehabilitate hangar doors;
• Finger Lakes Regional Airport in Seneca Falls, Seneca County, received $157,500 to purchase snow removal equipment;
• Penn Yan-Yates County Airport in Milo, Yates County, received $485,100 for the construction of an 8,400-square-foot, eight-bay hangar;
• Pine Hill Airport in Barre, Orleans County, received $42,000 for the purchase of snow removal and air field maintenance equipment.
• Elmira Corning Regional Airport in Big Flats, Chemung County, received $929,000 for expanding the terminal and rehabilitating the general aviation terminal parking lot;
• Hornell Municipal Airport in Hornellsville, Steuben County, received $172,784 to replace a storage tank and fueling equipment;
• Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport in Lansing, Tompkins County, received $120,000 to replace the roof on the crash, fire and rescue building.
Western New York
• Buffalo Niagara International Airport in Cheektowaga, Erie County, received $328,000 for the installation of light-emitting diode lighting at the air cargo ramp;
• LeRoy Airport in LeRoy, Genesee County, received $596,300 to rehabilitate a hangar and office space for aviation business;
• Wellsville Airport, Wellsville, Alleghany County, received $89,000 for rehabilitating a hangar.
• Republic Airport in East Farmingdale, Suffolk County, received $169,000 to retrofit the main terminal building with an energy efficient lighting system.