At an awards luncheon held at the Airtel Plaza Hotel recently, Van Nuys Airport (VNY) honored 36 general aviation companies with Friendly Flyer Awards. The awards honor the companies’ outstanding compliance with established noise abatement regulations and achieving 99 percent or greater compliance with all voluntary noise abatement programs at VNY during the 2018 calendar year.
“We are very pleased that our Friendly Flyer program contributes to measurable noise reduction at and around Van Nuys Airport,” said Airport Manager Flora Margheritis. “We congratulate and thank each of our award recipients for their commitment to quiet flying practices, which reduce noise and enhance the quality of life in our neighboring communities.”
The voluntary Fly Friendly/Quiet Departure Program for jet aircraft was first established in 1994 to address the community’s concerns regarding jet aircraft noise in neighboring areas.
Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) created the “Friendly Flyer” award in 2012 to acknowledge operators who complied with all noise abatement policies and procedures and had the highest level of success in adhering to the voluntary No Early Turn and Fly Friendly/Quiet Departure Programs.
The award winners were determined using the following program criteria:
- At least 60 southbound jet departures during CY 2018
- No violations of the following:
- Noise Abatement and Curfew Regulation prohibiting aircraft generating departure noise level equal to or above 74 decibels (per FAA Circular Regulation 36-3) from departing the airport between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m., and Stage 3 aircraft with departure noise levels equal or above 74 decibels from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. Stage 3 aircraft with departure noise levels below 74 and Stage 4 aircraft are not restricted by the curfew.
- Non-Additional Rule which prohibits any Stage 2 aircraft with noise levels exceeding 77dBA from being based at VNY.
- Noisier Jet Phase Out which prohibits operation of aircraft with certified takeoff noise levels of 77 dBA or higher.
- 99 percent or greater compliance with the No Early Turn and the Quiet Jet Departure Programs.
Legacy honorees are those who have received the Friendly Flyer Award every year since the program’s inception. This year, eight companies received a legacy award. Each Legacy winner received a special hand-made model airplane created by artist Michael Challgren. This year’s Friendly Flyer legacy winners are: Clay Lacy Aviation; Dreamline Aviation, LLC; Flexjet; Flight Options; JetSuite; NetJets; Tutor-Saliba Corporation; and XOJET, Inc. A full list of winners is available below.
Noise compatibility is a high priority for Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA). LAWA has established an extensive noise management program at Van Nuys Airport (VNY). With changes in fleet mix, new aircraft operators and new aircraft types operating in and out of VNY, the voluntary Friendly Flyer program is regularly updated to include new target noise levels and to expand the number of aircraft included in the program.