Oswego, Kansas Airport Offering Private Hangar Development

The recent acquisition of almost 10 acres of property adjacent to the Oswego Municipal Airport is creating an opportunity for individuals or companies to construct privately owned hangars at the facility, according to the City’s Airport Manager.

Acquisition of the property was a component of the Airport’s Master Plan, a planning document designed to identity growth opportunities and enhance airport facilities. The acquisition was funded 90 percent by the Federal Aviation Administration and the City of Oswego paid the remaining 10 percent of the project.

“We’ve received inquiries over time about individuals wishing to build their hangars at the airport,” explained Calvin Jurgensen, City Superintendent and Airport Manager. “But we simply didn’t have the available land to support development and now we do.”

In another key development action for the airport, the Oswego City Council voted at its Nov. 10 meeting to implement a ground lease and building development policy for the airport. Now a prospective tenant can contact Jurgensen and know how much the ground lease rate will be on the structure as well as the guidelines for design and construction of any size hangar the tenant desires.
Also, the Council approved entering into a project agreement with the FAA to construct an aircraft parking apron for completion in fall 2015. This parking apron will increase parking capacity of aircraft as well as provide a taxi lane for hangar tenants to move safely out to the runway.

“Our desire is to grow the number of tenants and increase usage at the airport,” says Mayor Glenn Fischer. “The airport is a great community asset, and by opening up ground for individual or business hangar development is good for the airport and good for the city.”

For more information about building opportunities at the airport, contact Jurgensen at 620.429.0297 or email: cjurgensen@oswegoks.com.