Photo above – Primary Airport of the Year is Quincy Regional Airport. From left are Linda Schumm, Bureau Chief, Aviation Safety and Education, Division of Aeronautics; Kyle Moore, Mayor of Quincy; Sandra Shore, Airport Director, Quincy Regional Airport and Alan Mlacnik, Bureau Chief of Engineering, Division of Aeronautics.
Each year, the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) Division of Aeronautics staff convenes to select a group of outstanding Illinois airports for special recognition. This year’s airports being recognized are; Quincy Regional Airport (Primary); Lake in the Hills Airport (Reliever); General Aviation Airport of the Year goes to Rochelle Municipal and Effingham County Airport; Cushing Field (Private – Open to the Public; and Heliport of the Year went to Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago.
Selections are based primarily on the following criteria:
• Cooperation, coordination and communication with the Division of Aeronautics by the airport manager and their staff
• Safety record of the facility
• Promotion of seminars and aviation events
• Promotion of aviation in general
• Maintenance of the facility
Congratulations to the 2019 winners!